Help needed debugging mail configuration

Hi all
I have successfully installed Globaleaks on Ubuntu 20.04.
Everything runs smooth exept notifications.

I have a local SMTP server. I can send mails from the servers commandline, but whenever i try to send a test-email from the admin interface, the web-interface freezes and I have to log back in. And no emails are being send.

The log only shows the following lines:
2020-11-03 19:05:33+0100 [-] Starting factory <twisted.mail.smtp.ESMTPSenderFactory object at 0x7f8530649af0>
2020-11-03 19:05:33+0100 [-] Stopping factory <twisted.mail.smtp.ESMTPSenderFactory object at 0x7f8530649af0>

Please help me in the right direction for debugging this issue.

Best regards

Jacob Larsen - Denmark

UPDATE!
the exact same thing happends when I try to use the Globaleaks standard SMTP settings.
The UI just hangs, and no mails are sent.
Nothing to see in the logs either.

We have the same problem and have had no luck. Same version of ubuntu.

I’m sorry for this late reply as i’m personally more prone to use Github myself for discussing development issues.

We are about to issue a version 4.1.0 that includes a patch for the component that anonymize outgoing connections.
Maybe this was the case for your failure?

I know that some of you have fixed the bug due to personal misconfiugraton. Who of you does still require support?

Hi - We haven’t solved the problem. Since we can’t see anything meeningfull in any logs, we welcome any sort of help.

We could continue the discussion at github if you prefer.

Best regards

Jacob

@evilaliv3
Just upgraded to latest version (Version 4.1.2 - 2020-11-23)
Problem remains.
Can you give any hints to where i could look for solutions?’
Best
/Jacob

Hi !,

globaleaks 4.18
Ubunti 20.04.01
Same problem with default sender as well as gmail credentials.
I’ve enabled/disabled the ubuntu fw and tried allowing port 587 but no luck.
The test function just hangs and the log show starting factory … stopping factory.
Any hints welcome.

Cheers

Hi I have the same issue. The circle in the ui just runs and runs and runs and never stops. With tcpdump I can see that there is even no attempt to contact the mail server. I use the official globaleaks docker scripts to set up globaleaks in my enviroment.

I haven’t found an open issue on that on GitHub. As @evilaliv3 mentiones he/she is more looking on GitHub to discuss those issues. Shall I open an issue on GitHub on that or does anyone have a solution on that?

I haven’t found a solution yet.
You are welcome to open a Github issue on the matter.

I will vote for it :slight_smile:

Hi everyone, I have opened an issue on the GitHub repository of GlobaLeaks.

Hi everyone,
hi @evilaliv3

the problem was resolved for me. Disabling ‘Anonymize outgoing connections’ at the tor settings worked for me. You can take a look at the issue on GitHub. Somehow I can’t post links here anymore but it’s bug 3005.

sorry wanted to mention @jacoblarsen